The postage stamps of Herm in the Channel Islands
|Home Page||Stamp Sets||Articles||Stamp Sales||Links||Contact us|
Articles on Herm stamps
has had some unusual arrangements for these essential services
Click any image to view a larger image. Click Back button to return to this page
sub post office which operated between 1925 and 1938 was situated in the
Mermaid Tavern, and a standard British posting box with the cypher GR
was built into the wall at the entrance to the Tavern's outside seating
the 1950s the local postal service's office was in the island's gift
shop overlooking the harbour.
the early 1960s it was moved to the cottage at the foot of
converted barrel painted blue was used as the island's posting box until
the construction of an elaborate and attractive wooden box which bore
some resemblance to a cuckoo clock.
post office was still in the gift shop when the Guernsey Post Office
opened its Herm sub office on 1 October 1969 and the 'cuckoo clock'
posting box remained in use. (The
author is seen making use of it.)
the post office and the posting box were later moved to another gift
shop in the adjacent piazza where the office can still be found.
However in the winter of 1981-82 the original British posting box
was found on the island's rubbish dump and was put back into use.
'cuckoo clock' box was then converted into a dovecote and placed in a
tree near to the office.
winter months when the shop is closed, postal business is conducted from
the island's administration office or the White House Hotel.
the collections of Dr Bob Forrester and David Ackroyd
Scanning and editing
by Peter Hewitt